Ahhh, our favorite time of year is finally here again!
What is March MATness?
Originally created by Benjamin Degenhardt, every March we pay homage to the foundational work via sharing our versions (and love!) for the original 34 on social media. My favorite part of March MATness is it's lack of competitive spirit - yes lack of! There's no competition for "Best Pilates Exercise". Instead we celebrate everyones journey through the 34 and relish in the fact that each day, month and year maybe we get a little better. Our leg gets a little straighter, we roll up a little smoother, and hold the legs a little higher.
"What is unique about the campaign is that for one month, the community pays respect to the traditional Mat exercises as documented by Joseph Pilates in his book Return to Life through Contrology. It’s an artful practice of 34 bodyweight movements that are invigorating and effective in conditioning the body."
-- Benjamin Degenhardt
Bringing us to the most important part: How do I participate? It's easy:
1. Find a practice space and dedicate some time each day - whatever time you have perfect. The idea is to practice everyday, not stress about how much time you have.
2. Get a copy of Return to Life (or just scroll down for the list of exercises). But really I encourage you to read the book - hearing in Joseph Pilates' own words why we do what we do is invaluable.
3. Start the exercises! One each day until we reach March 31st. If you cannot perform an exercise, find a modification on our social media pages. By the end of March you will be completing your version of each of the 34 exercises in succession. A workout a day!
4. Feel the difference. Mat Pilates everyday? Yes. I know it sounds daunting. Many of you don't even like the Mat. Get over it - it'll change your practice and how you feel. It's only 31 days - you can do it! And when you do, tag #corechicagopilates, #marchmatness2017, and the name of the exercise so we can all see what you're working on!
The Original 34:
16. #scissors and #bicycle
24. #legpulls (front and back)
28. #seal and #crab
For more details please visit Benjamin's site: www.MarchMatness.com for the history of the movement, pictures from social media and more information on his newest venture: 360 Pilates.